Editor dreads packing possessions to go home

Seeing as it’s almost the end of the semester, it’s time for all of us who live on campus to worry about the thing we absolutely hate: packing.

If most of you are like me, you have not even begun to pack your stuff to take home yet, but you’ve thought about it several times. It’s one of the easiest things in the world to put off.

First, if you don’t have the necessary luggage, you’re not going anywhere. But after that, so many things could go wrong if you start packing before the absolute last minute.

For instance, what if you pack something and then a few days later, you need i? Then if you don’t remember where you packed it, you have to unpack everything and dig through it to find it again.

This brings me to my next problem of packing: procrastinating and making excuses. I have a tendency to do this more than I would like to admit. The last minute and I are very well acquainted with each other.

I even have a shirt that reads “Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow.” I also enjoy getting off-topic.

Anyway, another reason I really don’t want to begin packing all of my things is that I really don’t like moving my stuff.

OK, maybe it’s not as much work as I’m making it out to be, but in my head, it really seems like a lot of work. I think about all of the things that I need to pack up and take home only to unpack everything. The thought of all the work I have to do makes me not want to do it.

There are several other things that I could be doing that I’d rather do. For example, anything else sounds good.

Despite this, packing early can only be beneficial to someone. So here are some ways to motivate you to begin packing.

Starting with the obvious, there won’t be as much to pack once you go to leave during finals week. Even if you just pack in small increments, the amount of things you have to pack an hour before you go home will be significantly smaller.

Besides, this may also be the way you unpack things once you get home: in small increments as each thing needs to be unpacked.

If that’s not a good enough motivator, this may be. Try playing a game of “find stuff I really don’t need and throw it away.” The title doesn’t really need an explanation.

Once you’re done playing this game, there will be less things that need to be packed, therefore less that need to be unpacked.

One last thing that may help you become more motivated to pack your stuff is to try and study for finals. If you’re a huge procrastinator like me, you’d probably rather pack than study for something that may be important.

Now you may say that this is horrible advice, but I disagree. Because after you’re done packing, then you really can’t use packing as an excuse anymore.

Even better, once you finish packing, you’ll feel so accomplished and productive, that the motivation to study will be so overwhelming, you’ll have to do it.

Hopefully these tips will help you, and me, become more motivated into packing things to take home. Only time will tell.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI