Saying goodbye does not need to be scary

So the time has finally come for me to write my very last column for The Gannon Knight.

This is something that I have been both excited for and dreading for the last few weeks.

I have been extremely excited to sit down and really reflect on this past school year, but I have also been dreading the fact that I will soon have to face one of my biggest fears: goodbyes.

Learning to say goodbye is something that definitely has not come easily to me.

Goodbyes have always been hard. The feeling of bittersweetness that often comes along with these moments has always made me feel uncomfortable.

One thing that I hope to learn when I complete my final moments here at Gannon would be that goodbye does not always have to be a bad thing.

Goodbye can be positive. It can mean moving on to bigger and better things.

When each of us says goodbye to this university, we are walking into bright and exciting futures.

Gannon has allowed many of us to open doors that we didn’t even imagine existing when we were freshmen.

We should all be proud of what we accomplished here.

We should say our goodbyes to the incredible memories and bonds we made on this campus, but not be sad that we are letting these things go.

We should be focusing more on the future greetings we will be able to say and the new people we will meet.

It will be bittersweet. Every ending to a journey like this one is, but this time, it should fill us with hope and excitement instead of fear and sadness.

I know that I will have my fair share of goodbyes to say when it comes to my graduation day and the days leading up to it.

I will be saying goodbye to some of my closest friends, my most impactful and inspiring professors and, of course, my wonderful staff at The Knight.

Taking on this position on the editorial board this past year was frightening at first for a handful of reasons.

I was putting together a whole new group of individuals, which can be a tough thing to do.

In the end, though, this group of people became some of my best friends.

The Gannon Knight newsroom has always been a very comfortable spot for me. I have made some of my favorite memories with the staff of this newspaper, both past and present.

Saying goodbye to the people who made my job so much easier is going to be extremely hard for me, but I am looking forward to seeing all of the success my fellow staff members achieve.

I want to thank all of the amazing individuals I have spent nearly every Tuesday of the last year with.

I also want to thank Frank Garland, who has been the absolute most impactful professor I have ever had the opportunity to work with and be guided by.

He has pushed me to become a better writer and overall individual, and for that I cannot thank him enough.

I can say that I have never been more proud to be a part of something than I am to have been a part of The Gannon Knight.

HARLEE BOEHM