Finding God on Gannon’s Campus

By RACHEL NYE
staff writer

Goosebumps ran over my arms as the chorus broke out in song. The beat of the drum soon followed and before we knew it, the whole congregation of students was standing, clapping in beat and swaying in rhythm.
The funny part is that just a few minutes prior, all students had been sitting stoically, afraid to cough or move.
At the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Prayer Service Monday, students of all backgrounds came together at the Mary, Seat of Wisdom Chapel to embark on what many of us thought would be a solemn service.
We were prepared for long prayers and listening to speakers.
What we did not prepare for was a true time of praise.
The music and songs brought smiles to all of our faces and we became mesmerized with the harmonies that formed naturally.
If King were standing within the audience, I am positive that he would have been singing louder than all of us combined.
For the exact event that played out in the service is precisely what King called us to do: set aside the labels and troubles of this world and be one in joy and love with each other.
This universal message of love can be seen throughout the world through song and praise.
When words begin to fail us, we can find true meaning in musical notes or a specific beat.
God did not want a world of silence and sorrow, and King understood this.
We are to stand up and speak. We are to sing and dance.
Music and rhythm transcends borders and language. It warms the very core of our hearts. Music brings love and joy into a place.
And as King states “love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.”
This prayer service became an empowering praise service that let us find joy with those whom we do not necessarily associate. Friends were made and hearts were lifted.
God finds all of humanity to be his children and does not discriminate between them.
He chooses to love and cherish each one, longing for a sense of joy for them.
King spread this message of immense love throughout his time on earth.
His words continue with the legacy he leaves behind.
A lot has happened within society from the time of King’s passing.
We have begun a journey toward true acceptance and love for all, but the work is not nearly done.
However, for one night in a small chapel within this city, true love was given as we sang beside strangers who became friends.
The music flowed through our hearts, all beating together as one, no difference between any one person.

RACHEL NYE